Since it’s summertime, I have to revive a favorite elk recipe. This is one I play with all the time, depending on the mood of my taste buds. I sometimes add barbecue sauce. Sometimes I leave out the blue cheese, add garlic, sauteed mushrooms, and so on. You can also substitute beef, deer or other game meat if you don’t have elk available. Let me know how you like them.
Blue-Cheese Elk Burger
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 2 pounds ground elk (or other red meat)
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet, add vegetable oil. Heat over medium heat. Add onions and saute. Set them aside to cool. (we puree the onions after sauteing them and add them as below so the kids don’t notice them).In a large mixing bowl, add the egg, thyme, rosemary, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire. Mix thoroughly. Add mixture to ground meat and mix until well blended. After the mixture is well blended, add blue cheese if desired. If you’re questioning the blue cheese, TRY IT! You just might like it. If you don’t like it, simply leave it out next time.
Mia Anstine is an outdoor writer, licensed outfitter, hunting guide, life coach, keynote speaker, and range safety officer, firearms instructor, and archery instructor. She is the founder of MAC Outdoors and Host of the MAC Outdoors Podcast.
Mia Anstine strives to encourage others to get outside, hunt, fish, shoot, and survive life with others in a positive way.
This website contains affiliate links. For information on what this means, click here.
Want to write to me?
MAC Outdoors LLC
PO Box 31
Ignacio, CO 81137-0031
*Disclaimer: Mia Anstine participates in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://www.amazon.com. There is no fee to you for using these links.
**Disclaimer: all opinions are my own, and sponsors are acknowledged. Links in the description are typically affiliate links that allow you to support my channel at no additional cost.