Apply Now for 2018-19 Draw Only Hunts

We can see New Mexico from our ranch in southern Colorado, aka So. CO. Can you guess that that means we not only hunt in Colorado but also in that state across the line. While some of the turkey hunting units offer over-the-counter options for purchasing hunting licenses, there are many that require a hunter to apply for the draw. You see, hunting licenses are limited.

Big game is nearly 100% draw in NM. That means we need to remember to get our deer, elk, antelope and other applications filed on time if we plan to have some field-to-fork New Mexico antelope burritos for dinner next year. Learn more about the deadlines and draw process in the release below.

2018-19 draw hunt application opens Wednesday


SANTA FE – The Department of Game and Fish will begin accepting applications for 2018-19 big-game and turkey licenses and permits at 10 a.m. Wednesday, online and over the telephone.

Information about rules, seasons, fees and more is available in the 2018-19 Hunting Rules & Information booklet online now at and available in print soon at license vendors and department offices. Hunters are encouraged to review season dates, application deadlines, and other information before applying for licenses or going afield.

Hunters this year are especially encouraged to review new rules regarding tagging their harvested game. A separate tag will be required in addition to the printed license, and all big game and turkeys must be tagged at the time of harvest. Tags will be mailed to all successful draw hunt applicants and will be available at all license vendors and department offices for over-the-counter licenses. Some restrictions may apply for online big game license purchases to accommodate mailing of tags.

Complete information about the new tagging requirements is available on the department website and in the Hunting Rules & Information booklet. Read more about tagging here.

The application deadline for bear and turkey permits is 5 p.m. Feb. 7. The application deadline for big-game licenses is 5 p.m. March 21. Hunters need to file all mandatory harvest reports from last season’s hunts to be eligible for the 2018-2019 draw. See the Hunting Rules and Information booklet for reporting deadlines.

Hunters can apply for licenses and permits by signing on or creating an online account at

Application assistance also is available at the department Information Center, toll-free (888) 248-6866. The center is open year-round, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m. (except holidays) to answer your questions and assist with license issues and harvest reporting. Extended hours are March 10–March 20, Monday–Friday from 8 a.m.–8 p.m. and Saturdays from noon–5 p.m. Please have your hunt choices ready if applying for draw hunts by phone. The Information Center will close at 4:30 p.m. March 21.


Advertisements on this site do not express or represent the opinion of MAC Outdoors or Mia Anstine. This article may include affiliate links.

%d bloggers like this: