Big news for Colorado big game hunters!
Commissioners received briefings on a variety of possible changes over the past several months and approved the following changes for the 2015 Big Game season:
- Archers may now use lighted nocks on arrows, which can help aid in recovery of game animals. New rules are also in place that allow recording devices to be mounted on a bow.
- Antler shed collection in the Eagle and Roaring Fork Valleys now has restrictions in place for collecting sheds at certain times of the year. This helps minimize disturbance of animals on their winter range.
- The draw is now regulated so youths get at least 15 percent of the limited licenses in every game management unit for antlerless pronghorn, antlerless and either-sex deer and antlerless elk for all methods of take and seasons, including early and late rifle seasons.
- Additional elk hunts are now available in game management units 128 and 61, to help aid in the quality of hunts, better manage the elk population east of I-25, and address landowner concerns.
- Additional deer hunts are now available in GMU 65, 41, 55, 551, 201, 103 and 109.
- Pronghorn muzzleloader season has been moved to Sept. 21-29.
- Area restrictions are now in place for moose hunters in GMU 20 and 29. The restriction is a quarter mile that extends out from the high water mark of Brainard Lake until the U.S. Forest Service gate closes, (at or near Oct. 12). Once the gate closes, the closure is lifted.
- Additional moose licenses are now available in GMU 38. Hunters can also now choose between a license for GMUs 7, 8, and 191 or a license for 191 only.
- Bear season has been expanded if the hunter purchases an elk or deer license in a matching GMU.
Listen to the recorded discussion of these topics and more at http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/CommissionMeeting2015-1.aspx
All CPW regulations are available at http://cpwstate.co.us/aboutus/Pages/Regulations.aspx. A summary of these changes will also be available in the 2015 Big Game Brochure scheduled for release Feb. 10.
Advertisements on this site are random and do not express or represent the opinion of Mia or LG.