As hunters, we work hard to put organic food on our tables, and jerky is a favorite snack that you’ll find in my backpack. Christmas is a time for giving, and what better gift than from the heart, or freezer?
I love preparing meals to enjoy around the table, but I also relish sending tasty treats to my family, friends and neighbors. Last year I shared homemade candy and deer pastrami (not in the same box, mind you).
This year I’m again making homemade candy, but you might also find freezer bags filled with delectable dried meats. I have a recipe for traditional Carne Seca, which you’ll find by clicking HERE, and below you’ll find a savory version of traditional tender jerky.
Jerked Deer Jerky Recipe
- Dehydrator (or oven)
- 6 lbs Fresh game meat (beef is okay too)
- 1 Cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup Soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup Wochestershire sauce
- 1/4 Cup Jerk sauce
- 1/4 Cup Liquid smoke
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- 2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- Cut the meat into thin strips, approximately 1” to 1-1/2” wide. Remember to trim off excess fat. Lay meat inside a large, lidded plastic bowl.
- Crumble and sprinkle the brown sugar over the meat. Stir the meat to mix the brown sugar in. Measure and pour the following over the meat: soy sauce, Worcestershire, jerk sauce and liquid smoke. Sprinkle the garlic powder, sea salt and pepper over the entire mixture. Seal the container with the lid and shake the mixture to ensure it is completely coated by all of the ingredients. The mixture creates a sauce over the meat. Put the sealed bowl in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours allowing it to marinade.
- You may use a dehydrator or your oven to dry the jerky. If you will be drying the meat in the oven, set it to 15o degrees F. Spread the marinated meat on a rack or cookie sheet. Dry the meat in the oven for 7 hours. Note: drying meat too rapidly in the oven may cause it to become tough. In the dehydrator, you will spread the marinated meat on the drying trays and run the dehydrator for approximately four hours. Test the jerky for desired texture.
Want to write to me?
MAC Outdoors LLC
PO Box 31
Ignacio, CO 81137-0031
Mia Anstine is an outdoor writer, licensed outfitter, hunting guide, keynote speaker, and a range safety officer, firearms instructor, and archery instructor. She is the founder of MAC Outdoors and Host of the MAC Outdoors Podcast.
Mia Anstine strives to encourage others to outdoors, hunt, fish, shoot, and survive life with others in a positive way.
*Disclaimer: Mia Anstine participates in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to www.amazon.com.
**Disclaimer: all opinions are my own, sponsors are acknowledged. Links in the description are typically affiliate links that allow you to support my channel at no additional cost.