Smothered Antelope Burritos
A quick and easy recipe that can be enjoyed any time.
- 1-1/2 pound antelope meat cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 can Rotel® Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, 10oz.
- 1 can Hatch ™ Diced green chilies, 4 oz.
- 1 can tomato paste, 6 oz.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can refried beans, 16 oz.
- 8 flour tortillas
- shredded Mexican or Nacho & Taco cheese
In a large skillet, cook the olive oil and antelope meat over medium-high heat. Add garlic powder, onion powder and/or seasoned salt to taste. Note: Take care to not over-cook game meat. Heat until almost cooked through. Game meat cooks rapidly. When the meat is almost cooked through, drain off excess fat. Add Rotel, diced green chilies and tomato paste. Mix thoroughly and reduce heat. Simmer until the meat and sauce are hot and bubbly. If the sauce is watery, add flour as needed to thicken, making a gravy.In a sauce-pan, warm the refried beans.When the meat sauce mix and beans are hot, heat tortillas. Add a small amount of beans, meat sauce, and cheese to the tortilla. Roll into a burrito. Smother the top of the burrito with meat sauce and top with cheese. If desired, melt the cheese under a broiler or in the microwave.